Saturday, May 11, 2013

A Blue Zebra

Last summer my husband and I started going to the library...a lot.  Our air conditioning didn't work and I was pregnant in July!   We spent a lot of time there because it was cool.  Then soon got hooked on the books and the atmosphere.  For a small town we have quite an impressive library.  We now go there as much as we can.  I spend most of my time in the children's and youth section, because of the illustrations.
The last time I went there a book caught my eye and I fell in love with the art work, plus the writing was clever, it's called "A is for Musk Ox" by Erin Cabatingan and illustrated by Matthew Myers.  It's a refreshing and entertaining spin on the classic and in my opinion a little boring alphabet books.  Myers' thick brush strokes, fun details and movement of the blue zebra and musk ox intrigued me to look Myers up. www.myerspaints.com (Which by the way we just got the Internet after two years of not having it, which has made this much easier)  And I have come to like Myers that much more.  Now, I want to find and read all his books.


 Using similar thick brush strokes as Myers I had fun creating this little giraffe.  I really enjoy this style and I would really like to incorporate the looseness to more of  my work. 
 I also thought it would be fun to see a little bit of my process so I added the sketch.  

No comments: